American Chop Suey Recipe
This is comfort food at it's best. American Chop Suey is known by many other names like macaroni and meat sauce and more. It's pasta, red meat sauce, cheese and lots of love.
- 8 oz elbow macaroni may be half a box
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 c onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bell pepper chopped, optional
- 8 oz mushrooms sauteed, optional
- 1 lb ground steak 90% lean
- 14 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 4 oz canned tomato sauce
- 2 oz can V-8 juice
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. dried chopped basil
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped oregano optional
- 1 tbsp. Waxing Kara Honey
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes to taste
- salt and pepper to taste I used 1/2 tsp. each
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese for serving
Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water following the package directions. Drain. Set aside.
In a large deep skillet or Dutch Oven, heat oil over medium heat.
Add the onion and sauté until light brown. Add the garlic. Add bell pepper. Add mushrooms. Cook until soft.
In a saute pan, brown the ground steak. Your goal is to brown the meat and break it up so that there are no big chunks. Cook until meat is cooked all the way through. Drain. Add meat to the sauteed veggies.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, V-8 juice, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, basil, oregano, honey until the sauce begins to boil, simmer for about 12-15 minutes.
Add the drained macaroni to the sauce, mix and heat through.
Add pepper flakes and parmesan cheese before serving.
Calories: 361kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 485mg | Potassium: 742mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1020IU | Vitamin C: 31.8mg | Calcium: 244mg | Iron: 4mg