Slow cooker BBQ Brisket is easy to make and surprisingly delicious. Do you have a slow cooker? I wish I was the person to invent this helpful kitchen tool. I have friends who are making very creative meals today in the slow cooker, including deep-dish pizza. Can you imagine that? The idea is the slow cooker makes life easy. I love making this slow cooker BBQ Brisket, and you will too.
You can’t mess up slow cooking as long as you follow a few basic rules.
- Don’t use frozen foods
- Choose the best cuts of meat for this application
- Trim fat
- Brown meats before slow cooking for the most flavor
- Layer ingredients to keep meats out of juice or meat will get soggy
- Don’t add too much fluid
- Cook on low to avoid cooking too quickly
- Be sure you plug the unit in and test that it’s working before you leave
- Be sure to close the lid before you leave for work
The beauty of slow cooker meals is how little time it takes to prepare dinner. Set this up in the morning in about 20 minutes from start to finish, start cooking on low heat until the Brisket is fork-tender. Expect to cook 6-8 hours. While cooking time varies based on weight and temperature, the reality is, this dish is forgiving.
This slow cooker BBQ brisket recipe is as delicious as it is easy to make.
Count on a lot of juice, which prevents the meat from drying out. This old-school roast cooks all day, all by itself, with a few ingredients and lots and lots of onions, resulting in a meal that melts in your mouth!
This meal serves the family well not a lot of fussing. A few dirty dishes, and in less than 30 minutes, all the most laborious work is complete, affording the luxury of going about the day knowing when you get back, this fantastic meal is
Our homemade honey BBQ sauce recipe makes this dish.
It’s very easy to make and you can use it in so many other recipes. Try marinating and grilling chicken breast, steak, or a whole rockfish with this sauce, it will keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks.
How to Make Slow Cooker Brisket Recipe:
- Remove Brisket from the fridge and allow to reach room temperature
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine onion and garlic
- Rinse Brisket in cold water and pat dry
- Rub Brisket on both sides with a generous amount of salt, pepper, and garlic
- Thoroughly season the meat with the rub
- On a skillet, sear all sides of Brisket for five minutes each side
- Cover brisket with Honey BBQ Sauce on both sides
- Place the BBQ marinated Brisket fat side up, in the slow cooker on a bed of onions
- Add beef broth
- Cover and cook on low until brisket is fork-tender, about 6-8 hours
- Remove Brisket and allow to sit for 15 minutes, thinly slice against the grain
- Serve with onion, some cooking liquid, and fresh-grated horseradish root
Adapting our Slow-Cooker Brisket Recipe
- Skip the Honey BBQ sauce recipe and add 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce and 1 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- Dry rub both sides with a seasoning blend designed for Brisket
- Mix up a rub with paprika, pepper, salt, brown sugar, chili powder, and honey together in a bowl; and dry rub both sides of the beef
- Cover with onion soup mix and water for real old-school slow cooker brisket
If you decide to try this fantastic recipe, be sure to take a photo and share them with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Slow Cooker BBQ Brisket
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves smashed and peeled
- 4 lbs. beef brisket first cut trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 4 c low-sodium beef broth
- 1 c Honey BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 c horseradish root fresh-grated
In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine onion and garlic
Rinse Brisket in cool water and pat dry
Rub Brisket on both sides with a generous amount of salt, pepper and garlic
On a skillet, sear all sides of brisket for five minutes each side
Cover brisket with Honey BBQ Sauce on both sides
Place the BBQ marinated Brisket fat side up, in slow cooker on bed of onions
Add beef broth
Cover and cook on low until brisket is fork-tender, about 6-8 hours
Remove brisket and allow to sit for 15 minutes, thinly slice against the grain
Serve with onion, some cooking liquid and fresh-grated horseradish root
What to serve with Brisket
Start with a beautiful salad with honey vinaigrette
Honey Lemon Vinaigrette
A plate of potato pancakes would make a fun and different side
Potato Latkes with Honey Apple Sauce
These Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are great with Brisket, the sweet element will balance the spicy BBQ sauce.
Baked Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Nothing better than Southern Corn Bread with Brisket