The classic screwdriver cocktail was the brunch gathering main-stay for most of my youth and was born in the late 1940s. Over time creative mixologists made this classic cocktail in many variations. I recall some made with soda water or a splash of bubbly made for a spirited family gathering. The classic screwdriver has always been made with just two ingredients: vodka and orange juice.
We’ve been experimenting with cocktails made with tea
We think that tea goes well with honey and spirits. Enter “Hive Libation,” featuring a range of citrus ingredients, sweetened with honey syrup and finished with a dash of matcha powder for a green tea nose. We looked to the apiary for inspiration for this new and reimagined version.
How to make a Classic Screwdriver Cocktail Reimagined as a “Hive Libation”
Add a dollop of honey and hot water into a shaker, and stir until honey is dissolved.
Add the vodka, Grand Marnier, lime juice, orange juice with ice, and shake vigorously until well-chilled.
Strain into a cocktail glass.
Top with a pinch of matcha tea, garnish and serve.
Play with this Screwdriver Cocktail Recipe
It wouldn’t be a Waxing Kara recipe if we didn’t challenge those ingredients a bit, so in our take, you guessed it, we’ve added honey and made it a little more interesting.
- Try lemon juice or lime juice with the citrus mix
- Garnish with fresh-picked mint or basil from the garden
- Top with/muddle fresh ginger slices
If you are interested in making other cocktails with honey, we’ve created so many cocktails with honey for you to try! This mojito is made with honey or this blossoms and bourbon cocktail!
If you decide to try this classic screwdriver recipe, be sure to take a photo and share them with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love hearing from you and seeing what you do with our recipes to make them your own!
Screwdriver Cocktail with a twist
- 3/4 oz hot water
- 1/2 oz Honey Waxing Kara
- 1 oz Vodka Kettle One Orange
- 1/2 oz Orange Liquor Grand Marnier
- 1/2 oz Lemon juice Fresh Squeezed
- 1/2 oz Orange juice
- 1 pinch Matcha tea
- Add the hot water and honey into a shaker and stir until the honey is dissolved
- Add the vodka, triple sec or Grand Marnier, lemon juice, orange juice, with ice, and shake vigorously until well-chilled.
- Strain into a cocktail glass.
- Optional top with a pinch of matcha tea.
- Garnish and serve.