The classic screwdriver cocktail was the brunch gathering main-stay for most of my youth and was born in the late 1940s. Over time creative mixologists made this classic cocktail in many variations. I recall some made with soda water or a splash of bubbly made for a spirited family gathering. The classic screwdriver has always been made with just two ingredients: vodka and orange juice.
We’ve been experimenting with cocktails made with tea
We think that tea goes well with honey and spirits. Enter “Hive Libation,” featuring a range of citrus ingredients, sweetened with honey syrup and finished with a dash of matcha powder for a green tea nose. We looked to the apiary for inspiration for this new and reimagined version.
How to make a Classic Screwdriver Cocktail Reimagined as a “Hive Libation”
Add a dollop of honey and hot water into a shaker, and stir until honey is dissolved.
Add the vodka, Grand Marnier, lime juice, orange juice with ice, and shake vigorously until well-chilled.
Strain into a cocktail glass.
Top with a pinch of matcha tea, garnish and serve.
Play with this Screwdriver Cocktail Recipe
It wouldn’t be a Waxing Kara recipe if we didn’t challenge those ingredients a bit, so in our take, you guessed it, we’ve added honey and made it a little more interesting.
- Try lemon juice or lime juice with the citrus mix
- Garnish with fresh-picked mint or basil from the garden
- Top with/muddle fresh ginger slices
If you decide to try this classic screwdriver recipe, be sure to take a photo and share them with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love hearing from you and seeing what you do with our recipes to make them your own!
Screwdriver Cocktail with a twist
- 3/4 oz hot water
- 1/2 oz Honey Waxing Kara
- 1 oz Vodka Kettle One Orange
- 1/2 oz Orange Liquor Grand Marnier
- 1/2 oz Lemon juice Fresh Squeezed
- 1/2 oz Orange juice
- 1 pinch Matcha tea
- Add the hot water and honey into a shaker and stir until the honey is dissolved
- Add the vodka, triple sec or Grand Marnier, lemon juice, orange juice, with ice, and shake vigorously until well-chilled.
- Strain into a cocktail glass.
- Optional top with a pinch of matcha tea.
- Garnish and serve.