Nick Shultz shared this pumpkin smoothie with me to enjoy after my workout. He calls this a post-workout recovery shake. Nick, a long-time friend is an amazing personal trainer. He happens to also be the Executive Director of Red Brook Health & Wellness Center, here in Owings Mills, MD. I train with Nick a couple of times a week and he always reinforces the hard training that we do with proper nutrition tips.
I tend to have a lot of aches and pains after hard workouts. Getting enough protein, and eating well-balanced meals that contain just the right nutrition to support healing is key to fewer aches and pains.
Two key factors in your post workout nutrition are replacing essential carbohydrates and maintaining balanced blood glucose levels. Honey covers both with an average glycemic index of 43, which is lower than sugar (sucrose), maltodextrin, and most fruit. By adding 1 tablespoon of all natural honey into your post workout shake or meal, your body will be replacing essential carbohydrates without sacrificing elevated glucose levels.
How to Make Pumpkin Smoothie
- Gather all of these ingredients: Ice, Coconut Oil, Pureed Pumpkin, Chia Seeds, Cinnamon, Honey, Protein Powder, Cold Water, Homemade Almond Milk, Walnuts in weights listed in the recipe card below
- Combine everything in a high-speed blender, blend until smooth.
Adapting this Pumpkin Smoothie Recipe
All of our honey recipes are meant to be inspiring. That’s the way we see it. Don’t feel like you have to make this Pumpkin Smoothie Recipe exactly the way our recipe shows. Get creative. Experiment. Try something different. Here are some ideas in case you need a little boost with adapting this recipe:
- Add some blueberries or a combination of your favorite berries to the mix to add color and flavor
- Can you imagine a teaspoon of dried lavender added to the mix? That would be so good!
- Sprinkle some dried cinnamon or ginger on top.
- Why not add some chocolate protein powder to this amazing shake?
Enjoy some of our other smoothies
- 1 c crushed ice
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil optional
- 1/4 c organic canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. Waxing Kara Honey
- 2 scoops protein powder chocolate or vanilla
- 8 oz almond milk unsweetened
- 6 oz cold water
- 1/4 c walnuts
Combine everything in blender, blend until smooth.
Alter the recipe as needed depending on your taste preference and nutritional needs.