Nick Shultz shared this pumpkin smoothie with me to enjoy after my workout. He calls this a post-workout recovery shake. Nick, a long-time friend, is an excellent personal trainer. He is also the Executive Director of the Republic of Athletes here in Owings Mills, MD. I train with Nick several times a week, and he constantly reinforces our hard training with good nutrition tips.
I tend to have a lot of aches and pains after strenuous workouts. Getting enough protein and eating well-balanced meals with just the proper nutrition to support healing is key to fewer aches and pains.
Two key factors in your post workout nutrition are replacing essential carbohydrates and maintaining balanced blood glucose levels. Honey covers both with an average glycemic index of 43, which is lower than sugar (sucrose), maltodextrin, and most fruit. By adding 1 tablespoon of all natural honey into your post workout shake or meal, your body will be replacing essential carbohydrates without sacrificing elevated glucose levels.Nick Shultz
How to Make Pumpkin Smoothie
- Gather all of these ingredients: Ice, Coconut Oil, Pureed Pumpkin, Chia Seeds, Cinnamon, Honey, Protein Powder, Cold Water, Homemade Almond Milk, and Walnuts in weights listed in the recipe card below
- Combine everything in a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth.
Adapting this Pumpkin Smoothie Recipe
All of our honey recipes are meant to be inspiring. That’s the way we see it. Please don’t feel like you must make this Pumpkin Smoothie Recipe precisely how our recipe shows. Get creative. Experiment. Try something different. Here are some ideas in case you need a little boost with adapting this recipe:
- Add some blueberries or a combination of your favorite berries to the mix to add color and flavor
- Can you imagine a teaspoon of dried lavender added to the mix? That would be so good!
- Sprinkle some dried cinnamon or ginger on top.
- Why not add some chocolate protein powder to this excellent shake?
Enjoy some of our other smoothies
- 1 c crushed ice
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil optional
- 1/4 c organic canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. Waxing Kara Honey
- 2 scoops protein powder chocolate or vanilla
- 8 oz almond milk unsweetened
- 6 oz cold water
- 1/4 c walnuts
- Combine everything in blender, blend until smooth.
Alter the recipe as needed depending on your taste preference and nutritional needs.