To be honest, I wasn’t always a fan of oatmeal. This changed by the time I was an adult, and now I can’t get enough of the stuff! I wouldn’t exactly call this recipe “oatmeal,” since it’s a blend of several grains. That’s why we call this recipe Power Porridge. It’s packed with so many heart-healthy ingredients, and it keeps you full all morning until lunch.
How to make Power Porridge
- Gather all the ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan bring the milk and 3 cups of water to a boil over medium heat.
- Add ingredients, stirring occasionally for 30-40 minutes, until creamy.
- Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Serve with fresh seasonal fruit and Waxing Kara Honey.
The star ingredient of this porridge is quinoa
When autumn rears her head, I shift breakfast from smoothies to porridge. This is the time of the year when we crave warm comfort foods, and this porridge is just that. No one wants to drink a cold smoothie when the weather starts to get chilly. On this blog, I cover quite a few takes on oatmeal recipes. Oatmeal is simple and quick to make and leaves you with endless preparation options.
For my family, I tripled this porridge recipe in a slow cooker when I have a house full of guests at our farm. I set it up to cook for a few hours on low heat, very early in the morning and it comes out great just in time for breakfast.
This power porridge recipe is adapted from Candle Cafe Cookbook.
We changed up this recipe to suit our own tastes. You can take it and run, too! Porridge is the perfect example of a meal that you can tailor to your own tastes. Here are some more suggestions:
- Add in blueberries or peaches in the last 10 minutes of cooking
- Mix in a 1/4 cup of canned or boxed pumpkin (the real stuff, not the mixed stuff) while warming the porridge
- Be sure to keep an eye on this as it’s cooking and add water if needed, and stir to prevent from sticking.
- The idea is you are making quite a bit of this at one time and you can freeze in 1/2 cup size portions
How to Make Power Porridge Recipe
- 3 c almond milk flax, or coconut
- 3 c filtered water
- 1 1/2 c steel cut oats
- 1/2 c quinoa rinsed several times
- 1/2 c Waxing Kara Honey spray measuring cup lightly with olive oil for easy removal
- 1/2 c unsweetened coconut lightly toasted
- 1/2 c toasted walnuts chopped
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom ground
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- Pinch sea salt
- Waxing Kara Honey
In a large saucepan bring the milk and 3 cups of water to a boil over medium heat.
Add ingredients, stirring occasionally for 30-40 minutes, until creamy. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
Serve with fresh seasonal fruit and Waxing Kara Honey.