This Paleo Coffee Cake recipe came from Patti A, a customer of our Honey House. We are fortunate to get to know our customers and share stories.
The Paleo diet is one that encourages followers to turn back time to the time of the cave-man. I wrote about my feelings on this diet in general in our Paleo Pumpkin Muffins recipe. I am not a big follower of this diet, but to the extent that it is gluten-free and processed-sugar-free, I personally see results in my life when I take the white out of my diet.
Pattie has Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and has found the Gluten-Free Paleo diet to be very helpful for her health condition.
How to Make Paleo Coffee Cake
- Gather all of the ingredients you need for this recipe
- Preheat oven to 350F
- If using dried apricots, place them in a pot and cover with water.
- Bring to boil and let them sit and plump up.
- Best if done the day before.
- Mix together the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir through.
- Chop the apricots up and add to the cake mix.
- Pour mixture into a lined cake tin.
- In another bowl combine topping mixture and sprinkle over the cake mixture evenly.
- Place in oven and cook for 30-35 minutes.
Learn more about the Paleo Diet and decide if it’s a good thing for you. In theory:
The paleo diet can improve your health by eliminating high-fat and processed foods that have little nutritional value and too many calories. This plan emphasizes loading up on fruits and vegetables that are bursting with healthy vitamins, minerals, and fiber, which fills you up faster so you eat less, helping curb weight gain. You’ll lose weight because any time you restrict entire food groups, your calorie intake tends to be lower, Sandon says.
Lona Sandon, PhD, RD
Adapting this Paleo Coffee Cake
Our recipes are designed to be inspirational. That’s the way we see it. Don’t make this Paleo Crumb Cake Recipe exactly the way our recipe shows. Get creative. Experiment. Try something different. Here are some ideas in case you need a little boost with adapting this recipe:
- Add some blueberries or a combination of your favorite berries to the batter to moisten it up a bit. Cherries were better than the dried apricots.
- Can you imagine a teaspoon of dried lavender added to the batter? That would be so good!
- Sprinkle 1 tsp. ground cinnamon into the batter.
- Why not serve with a little honey drizzle?
If you love paleo recipes, be sure to try these Paleo Pumpkin Muffins!
Paleo Coffee Cake
- 1 c almond flour
- 1/4 c tapioca flour
- 1/4 c coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 c coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. Waxing Kara Wildflower Honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 20 dried apricots (PLUMPED) or 6 fresh
- 1/2 c Waxing Kara Honey
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil gently brought to liquid state
- 1/2 c unsweetened shredded coconut
Preheat oven to 350F
If using dried apricots, place them in a pot and cover with water.
Bring to boil and let them sit and plump up. Best if done day before.
Mix together the dry ingredients.
Add the wet ingredients and stir through.
Chop the apricots up and add to cake mix.
Pour mixture into a line cake tin.
In another bowl combine topping mixture and sprinkle over the cake mixture evenly.
Place in oven and cook for 30-35 minutes.
If you decide to try this fantastic recipe, be sure to take a photo and share them with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!