Marking the queen was such a foreign concept to me. Picture hunting for the queen in a box full of thousands of bees. I will never forget my first (and last) time queen hunting.
I can’t seem to find the time to do this. I never developed the do-it-fast aspect of being a beekeeper. When at the hive, it’s more like slow-motion. Maybe it’s the heat? Not so sure.
Here it is in a nutshell:
- Open hive all the way down to the bottom brood box.
- Visually search for the queen.
- Carefully capture her in a Queen Marking Tube.
- Apply a dot of brightly colored and non-toxic paint from a Queen Marking Pen.
- In theory this will make her easy to find in the future.
I personally think that she is different enough from all the other bees that she’s easy enough to spot without putting her thru all of that stress.