Lentil Soup is a hearty and satisfying meal that is low in calories. Lentils are rich in iron, folate and an excellent source of protein. Lentils also pack polyphenols that may reduce heart disease risk factors.
We were able to make this soup recipe in less than an hour. Serve for lunch or a light dinner. This amazing lentil soup is simple to make—add a salad for a complete nutritious and satisfying meal that comes together within an hour from start to finish.
Get creative with how you serve Lentil Soup
- Serve with some amazing Eastern Shore Corn Bread
- Our mulled wine would make an excelled companion as well
- Garnish with fresh chopped jalapenos
- Swap out some nice cheddar cheese for parmesan cheese
- Top with some sour cream
- 4 large carrots chopped
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 4 stalkes celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- 1 box chicken broth
- 1 c lentils Brown, Rinse in strainer
- 1 large can tomatoes diced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. sage or rosemary fresh chopped
- 1 tbsp. thyme fresh chopped
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon cube try Rapunzel Brand
- water as needed
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar glaze
- 1 tbsp. Waxing Kara Honey
- 1/2 c parmesan cheese grated as desired
Rinse Lentils, remove floaters and set aside
Chop carrot, onion, celery and garlic and add to soup pot with drizzle of olive oil. Simmer for 4-5 minutes
Pour chicken broth over vegetables, add lentils, tomatoes, herbs, salt and bouillon with enough water to cover vegetables. Simmer Covered for 40 minutes or more, until lentils are tender.
Optional: My preference is to remove about 1 cup of the mixture with a slotted spoon and puree in a blender then return to soup. This step tends to help blend the flavors and improve the texture of the soup.
Before serving, mix the balsamic vinegar and honey to create a glaze, serve glaze drizzled on top with grated cheese as desired.
Recipe by Joyce C Wallace, RN, Certified Health Coach. Joyce is a health advocate, avid gardener and passionate cook. She recently published a book, Navigating the Food Jungle filled with delightful recipes that are also good for you.