You may find this hard to believe but this honey recipe for easy pickled onions takes less than 10 minutes and it can change an otherwise boring salad, or tasteless piece of fish, or ordinary chili into a really great meal.
I keep these pickled onions on hand, they last for more than a week to use in a pinch when throwing together a meal. When you use red onion they get a beautiful shade of pink. Did you know that onions are a high source of fiber and have other health benefits? Did you also know that we can thank the mighty honeybee for onions?
Adapting our Easy Pickled Onions made with Honey
You know, a recipe is not truly perfect until you’ve added your own touch to it. That’s why we encourage you to play with your food. Call to your inner chef to come out and play with your veggies and change up this recipe. Here are some ideas
- Consider some other veggies to the mix try beets, carrots or cauliflower
- Add some of your favorite pickling spices like celery seed, allspice berries, whole garlic cloves
- Experiment with different kinds of onions, red, yellow, or small pearl onions
- Pair these onions on this kale salad, or with this sweet and spicy chili, or alongside these wings!
If you decide to make these easy pickled onions with honey or any variation that we’ve suggested or better yet, your very own take, why not take a photo and share it with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Easy Pickled Onions
- 1 large onion red or sweet, sliced
- 1/2 c Waxing Kara Honey
- 1/2 c water hot
- 1/2 c vinegar white balsamic
Slice onion as thin as you can.
Mix honey and hot water add vinegar and stir well to combine
Place sliced onion in a non-reactive (glass) container that has a tight-fitting lid, and pour dressing over sliced onion.
Top with lid and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
Easy Pickled onions can be made ahead by up to two days.