You may find this hard to believe: this honey recipe for pickled onions takes less than 15 minutes and it can change a boring salad, or tasteless piece of fish into a really great meal. I will often keep these on hand, they last for more than a week to use in a pinch when throwing together a meal. Did you know that onions are a high source of fiber and have other health benefits? Did you also know that we can thank the mighty honeybee for onions?
Adapting our Easy Honey Pickled Onions
You know, a recipe is not truly perfect until you’ve added your own touch to it. That’s why we encourage you to play with your food. Call to your inner chef to come out and play with your veggies and change up this recipe. Here are some ideas
- Add some other veggies to the mix try beets, carrots or cauliflower
- Add some of your favorite pickling spices like celery seed, allspice berries, whole garlic cloves
- Try different kinds of onions, red, yellow, or small pearl onions
- Try these onions on this kale salad, or alongside these wings!
If you decide to make these easy pickled onions with honey, or any variation that we’ve suggested or better yet, your very own take, why not take a photo and share it with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Easy Pickled Onions
- 1 large onion red or sweet
- 1/2 c Waxing Kara Honey
- 1/2 c water hot
- 1/2 c vinegar white balsamic
Slice onion as thin as you can.
Mix honey and hot water add vinegar and stir well to combine
Place sliced onion in a non-reactive (glass) container that has a tight-fitting lid, and pour dressing over sliced onion. Top with lid and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. Can be made ahead.