You may find this hard to believe but this honey recipe for easy pickled onions takes less than 10 minutes and it can change an otherwise boring salad, or tasteless piece of fish, or ordinary chili into a really great meal. I keep these pickled onions on hand, they last for more than a week to use in a pinch when throwing together a meal. When you use red onion they get a beautiful shade of pink.
How to Make Pickled Onions
When you realize how effortless this recipe is to make, you will want to make them once a week and have them on-hand. I even get the little Cipollini onions when I can and pickle those for cocktail hour. When I tell you about this ingredient list, I will also share that it was hardly worth making a list, but I do this to make it easy for you!
- Sweet onions or red onions
- Warm Water
- Vinegar (your favorite kind) I use ACV a lot
Making pickled onions is easy
All you have to do is slice onion as thin as you can. Mix honey and hot water add vinegar and stir well to combine. Place sliced onion in a non-reactive (glass) container that has a tight-fitting lid, and pour dressing over sliced onion. Top with lid and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. Easy Pickled onions can be made ahead by up a week or so. If the marinate starts turning cloudy, discard the pickled onions.
Expert tips on making our easy Pickled Onion Recipe
You know, a recipe is not truly perfect until you’ve added your own touch to it. That’s why we encourage you to play with your food. Call to your inner chef to come out and play with your veggies and change up this recipe. Here are some ideas
- Add some of your favorite pickling spices like celery seed, allspice berries, whole garlic cloves
- Experiment with different kinds of onions, red, yellow, or small pearl onions
- Pair these onions on this kale salad, or with this sweet and spicy chili, or alongside these wings!
- Consider some other veggies to the mix try beets, carrots or cauliflower
Easy Pickled Beets Recipe
Ideas on what to serve with pickled onions
I am a big fan of this kale salad, and I think it may be only because of the pickled onions. They almost help you forget how strong and over-powering kale can sometimes be.
Do you know how sometimes fish can taste a little bland, dull and be a little uninteresting? This fish dish is made better with some pickled onions on top.
If you decide to make these easy pickled onions with honey or any variation that we’ve suggested or better yet, your very own take, why not take a photo and share it with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Easy Pickled Onions
- 1 large onion red or sweet, sliced
- 1/2 c Waxing Kara Honey
- 1/2 c water hot
- 1/2 c vinegar white balsamic
- Slice onion as thin as you can.
- Mix honey and hot water add vinegar and stir well to combine
- Place sliced onion in a non-reactive (glass) container that has a tight-fitting lid, and pour dressing over sliced onion.
- Top with lid and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Easy Pickled onions can be made ahead by up to a week if kept in an air-tight glass container in the fridge.