This Baked Honey Mustard Chicken is one of the easiest dinners you can make. All you need for a lovely meal is a well-seasoned bird, a hot oven, and about two hours of time. We are using Montreal Chicken Seasoning for the recipe, but you can use your favorite seasoning blend or vinaigrette. The best thing about this recipe is that it’s flexible. Make it your own!
Are you hosting a dinner party? Having guests over for the holidays? Or, maybe, you’re just looking for a simple, yet impressive dish to serve? This recipe is perfect. It only takes a few hours, and most of that time is spent in the oven, giving you time to get everything ready for company. Whether you are an A-list chef or a frozen dinner connoisseur, your guests will be blown away by your cooking.
This Baked Honey Mustard Chicken makes a great meal for entertaining guests!
The key to a great roasted chicken is a great marinade. It keeps the bird moist and infuses the whole meal with a medley of flavors. Though the marinade may be delicious, keep it out of the pan while baking! The best roast chicken has perfectly crispy skin, and excess liquid will make it harder to get the texture you’re looking for.
For a flavorful and built-in side dish, roast some vegetables with this Honey Mustard Chicken. Firm vegetables are perfect for roasting. We like to use small, whole new potatoes. They don’t get soggy when cooked with the bird, and they stay soft and fluffy on the inside. If you like, you can use potato spears, but they are best roasted separately. Carrots, parsnips, and onions are also wonderful additions–really, whatever you fancy!
How to make Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
First, gather the ingredients together. You’ll need:
- 5 pound whole roasting chicken
- Waxing Kara Honey
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- McCormick Spice Montreal Chicken Seasoning divided
- Fresh garlic
- 4 lemons
- Whole baby potatoes
- Whole onions
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
Step One: Make the marinade
Juice 2 lemons. Whisk the lemon juice together with the honey, oil, mustard, seasoning, and minced garlic. The mixture should slightly emulsify.
Step Two: Prepare the bird
Clean the chicken, and pat dry. Pour some marinade into the cavity. Tie the bird. Place the whole chicken into a ziplock bag, and cover with marinade. Seal the bag and gently toss the chicken to incorporate the marinade. Allow the bird to marinate a few hours in the refrigerator.
Step Three: Prepare the vegetables
Peel and cut carrots into one-inch pieces. Peel and cut onions in quarters. Leave potatoes whole. Cut lemons into slices. Toss the potatoes, carrots, and onion with olive oil and Montreal Poultry seasoning, then fill the bottom of a rectangular glass baking dish in a single layer. Add lemon slices. Garnish with rosemary.
Step Four: Get cooking
Preheat the oven to 450°F while the chicken is marinating in the fridge.
Remove the chicken from the marinade, and place it on a roasting rack over the veggies in the glass baking dish. Roast the chicken, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and cook for another 45-50 minutes. Baste as necessary. The chicken is done when the juices run clear and the internal temperature is at about 165°F. The potatoes should be brown, but soft on the inside. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken is versatile
We always encourage you to play with our recipes and make them your own. This chicken is so easy to adapt! Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Slice whole garlic bulbs in half and slide underneath the skin before roasting.
- Use spicy mustard for a little kick! One with horseradish would be good.
- Cover the bird with more lemon slices to make it extra moist.
- Toss the potatoes in some marinade before roasting them separately.
- Add sweet potato, parsnips, or turnips into the veggie mix.
- Serve with some lovely honey-roasted cherry tomatoes.
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
- 5 pound whole roasting chicken
- 1/2 c Waxing Kara Honey
- 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1/4 c Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 tbsp. Montreal Chicken Seasoning divided
- 5 large cloves garlic minced
- 4 lemons
- 1 bag whole baby potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 2 whole onions
- rosemary sprigs
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Juice 2 lemons.
- Whisk honey, oil, mustard, seasoning, lemon juice, and minced garlic. The mixture should slightly emulsify.
- Clean bird. Pat dry. Pour some marinade into the cavity of the bird. Tie the bird. Place the whole chicken into a ziplock bag, and cover with marinade. Seal the bag and gently toss the chicken to incorporate the marinade.
- Allow bird to marinate a few hours before cooking in the refrigerator.
- Peel and cut carrots into one inch pieces.
- Peel and cut onions in quarters.
- Leave potatoes whole.
- Cut 2 lemons into wedges.
- Toss the potatoes, carrots and onion with olive oil and Montreal Poultry seasoning and fill the bottom of a rectangular glass baking dish in a single layer. Add lemon wedges. Garnish with rosemary.
- Place the chicken on top of the veggies in the glass baking dish.
- Roast the chicken, uncovered, for 15 minutes at 450 degrees.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and cook for about another 50 minutes. Baste the chicken as necessary.
- The chicken is done when the juices run clear and the internal temperature is at about 165°F. The potatoes should be brown, but soft on the inside. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
What to serve with this baked honey mustard chicken
Wondering what honey-inspired sides you can serve with this chicken? Try slicing it and serving on top of our Asian Noodle Salad with honey.
Asian Noodle Salad with Honey
This asparagus carrot stir fry is the perfect vegetable accompaniment.
Thai Asparagus Carrot Stir Fry
If you have time in advance, you can make this Chocolate Bark with Pistachio Granola and serve it for dessert.
Chocolate Pistachio Granola Bark
If you make a special meal with our roasted honey mustard chicken, post a picture and use the hashtag #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!