This Honey-Glazed Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp was my very first honey recipe post on this blog. It’s hard for me to believe that it’s been 4 years. I wrote at least a dozen friends and asked for their best ideas on what I should make with honey. When Jerry Edwards wrote me back with this recipe I was tickled. I went to the market, picked up all the ingredients, headed over to Joyce’s house where she showed me how to wrap shrimp in bacon. Mine didn’t look quite as nice as hers.
Wrapping shrimp in bacon may be the only thing sweeter than our honey
The trick to doing this right is finding the thinnest sliced bacon you can. One at a time, remove each shrimp from its shell, rinse, devein and wrap with a thin piece of bacon; secure with a toothpick if desired. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet. These shrimp are great with rice pilaf or a lightly tossed salad.
Adapting our Honey Glazed Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
You know, a recipe is not truly perfect until you’ve added your own touch to it. That’s why we encourage you to play with your food. Call to your inner chef to come out and play and change up this recipe. Here are some ideas–
- Mix in some scallops
- Sprinkle lemon juice over the shrimp
- Add some heat with diced chilies
- Add some Homemade Honey BBQ Sauce to the glaze that we featured in our brisket recipe
What to serve with this dish
We recommend serving:
- Most southern recipes accompany spicy and smokey dishes. Southern Cornbread is a wonderful go-along with this dish and it aids in resting the palette from the smokey bacon.
- This Healthy Slaw will cool off the palette as it adds fiber to this delicious meal.
- Perfectly timed for autumn, this Honey-Glazed Butternut Squash is as delicious as it is simple to prepare and makes a great companion to this shrimp dish.
If you decide to make our Bacon Wrapped shrimp or any variation that we’ve suggested, why not take a photo and share it with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Honey Glazed Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- 16 white shrimp 16-20 count
- 16 Apple-Wood Smoked Bacon thin-sliced
- ½ cup Panko Crumbs
- 4 tbsp. Waxing Kara Honey
- dash Sea Salt & Pepper
Pre-heat oven 375°F
Wrap each cleaned shrimp with bacon, sprinkle with Panko crumbs and bake for 4 minutes in oven
Remove let cool and set on a new baking sheet, season with fresh ground pepper and pour 1/2 of the honey on shrimp and bake in oven for 4-6 minutes till bacon is crispy
Season with black pepper and remaining honey and serve
My friend Chef Jerry Edwards of Baltimore is amazing. My first year as a beekeeper I asked him for help with a recipe and he shared a few that were way out the ordinary.