We share this ginger cookies recipe at the perfect time of the year to enjoy them. What could be better than sharing Soft Ginger Cookies with friends and family on a cold winter’s night? These cookies are crisp on the outside with tender, soft middles. You’ll be sure to come back for more. They’re perfect for National Cookie Day, too!
Whether you’re creating a holiday treat bag for friends, or enjoying an afternoon cup of tea with something a little sweet, these soft honey ginger cookies fit the bill. We took a traditional recipe for ginger molasses cookies and changed it up by using Waxing Kara Autumn Honey. You still enjoy the delicious ginger spice in every bite, but the honey brings out a warmer flavor profile.
The color in these soft honey ginger cookies is softer too, that’s why we rolled them in richly colored raw sugar crystals combined with cinnamon before baking.
Save Some Ginger Cookies for Later
Make these soft honey ginger cookies ahead of time and store them in the fridge before serving. Or you can roll the dough into balls, place on a tray and freeze them. Once frozen, transfer the dough balls to a freezer bag. Then you can bake a few at a time or you can bake the entire batch at a later date.
Adapting this Ginger Cookies Recipe
Sometimes it’s good to have fun with your food. If you’re dreaming of different ways to adapt this recipe, here some ideas to make them your own:
- Replace half of the vegan butter with peanut butter for a rich flavor
- Add some lemon zest to the recipe – about a teaspoon – will make a nice touch
- Leave out the cinnamon and double up on the ginger to make these ginger cookies sing even more!
If you decide to make these soft honey ginger cookies, be sure to take a photo and share them with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Ginger Cookies Recipe
- 3/4 c butter vegan
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c Waxing Kara Honey Autumn
- 1 flax egg (1 T ground flax, 3 T water)
- 2 tbsp. rum or rum-flavored extract
- 2 1/4 c flour all purpose
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 c raw large granule sugar * You can use regular granulated sugar, but the larger granules of raw sugar is a nice touch
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Heat your oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Use an electric mixture to mix the vegan butter, sugar, and honey until creamy (1 – 2 minutes). Add the flax egg and rum and continue mixing until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg. Sift to combine.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the honey mixture. Stir until combined. The dough will be sticky so it helps to refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
- Place the raw sugar and cinnamon in a bowl together. Stir to combine.
- Roll the dough into 1” balls, roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture and place about 1.5” apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 9 – 10 minutes, until golden on the edges but still soft on the inside. These cookies firm up as they cool so to ensure a soft cookie, remove them from the oven while still fairly soft in the middle. Allow to cool on the pan for a minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.