This cucumber eye treatment is easy and fast to make. During allergy season, you’ll often find me with a couple of cucumbers on my eyes to reduce puffy-red dryness. I am always looking for treatments that may help. I decided to try my hand at making my own treatment curated to my interests.
According to the Huffington Post, under-eye puffiness is often caused by the buildup of fluid under the eye from sleeping on your stomach, eating a high-sodium diet, and not drinking enough water.
Wondering what about cucumber soothes under-eye puffiness? So was I!
The secrets are antioxidants and flavonoids naturally found in the cucumber. Flavonoids aid in neutralizing free radicals on the skin, which maintains the appearance of healthy skin. By chilling this recipe, leads to a cooling effect that reduces swelling. It also leaves skin refreshed and feeling good.
The Helichrysum essential oil added to the cucumber mixture may reduce puffiness. It also refreshes contours under the eyes. Helichrysum flowers are part of the sunflower family. There is speculation that the plant has been used for centuries and its dried flowers were offered to Greek Gods. The oil is an antioxidant, an antibacterial, an anti-fungal, and an anti-inflammatory – which is nourishing for your skin. Just don’t get any in your eyes!
It takes a total of 10 minutes from start to finish to prepare this recipe. The ingredients were all very easy to find at Whole Foods. I doubled the recipe to make it easier to blend in my Vitamix. It keeps well in a sealed jar for a week in the refrigerator. I add the Helichrysum oil to the mixture palm-sized before I apply the treatment to my eyes.
Try this cucumber eye treatment, share with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
How to Make Cucumber Eye Treatment
- 1 tbsp. aloe vera gel
- 2 tsp. organic cucumber peeled with seeds removed
- 1/2 tsp. chamomile and lavender tea
- 1/2 tsp. Waxing Kara Honey
- 3 drops helichrysm (or add a drop to each treatment)
- Steep chamomile and lavender tea in boiling water. Set aside to cool.
- In food processor or blender combine cucumber, aloe vera and honey. Blend on low setting.
- Add chamomile tea. Blend until smooth.
- Add three or so drops of Helichrysm and apply gently under eyes using ring finger.
- Store in airtight glass dish in refrigerator for up to one week. Best applied chilled.