These honey blueberry muffins are made with Eastern Shore Honey and are packed with sweet, locally-grown blueberries. These are not my grandmother’s blueberry muffins… I am sure you know them, the muffins that sort of fall apart as you try to eat them. Unlike some older muffin recipes, these are very moist thanks to using honey in place of processed sugar.
These blueberry muffins bake up golden-brown and delicious when done just right.
As oven temperatures vary, be sure to check in on the muffins while they’re baking in the oven. Otherwise, they may overcook and get too brown. To make these muffins really special, we sprinkled them with honey crystals after they came out of the oven. You can use granulated sugar, or sugar in the raw crystals if you don’t have honey crystals on hand.
Select your favorite Eastern Shore Honey for this recipe. Our Blueberry Blossom Honey is a great contender. Feel free to experiment with other varieties like Clover or Spring, that have a more mild flavor, to see what suits you best. Serve them with honey butter (see below for the recipe) for an extra-special treat.
How to Make Honey Blueberry Muffins
It’s easy to make these blueberry muffins with this traditional recipe. Check back to our blog from time to time to see how we offer healthy alternative recipes. First, let’s discuss the six ingredients you’ll need:
- All-purpose flour
- Whole wheat flour
- kosher salt
- baking powder
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- lemon juice
- lemon zest
- whole-milk yogurt
- fresh blueberries
- Waxing Kara Honey
- Honey Crystals
These ingredients come together quick and easy! Once your ingredients are gathered, it’s time to move on to making these blueberry muffins. Begins with preheating your oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with papers. The nice thing about making blueberry muffins is that you don’t have a lot of steps to follow!
Step One: Combine all dry ingredients
Once the dry ingredients are combined, set aside a few tablespoons of it, we’re going to coat the blueberries with it. This will help prevent all the blueberries from dropping to the bottom of the muffins during baking.
Step Two: Whisk together all of the wet ingredients
Whisk eggs, yogurt, butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, Eastern Shore Honey, and vanilla in a medium bowl until combined and creamy.
Step Three: Fold the dry and wet ingredients together
Fold egg mixture into dry ingredients to combine. Fold in the coated blueberries without overmixing. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
Step Four: Bake the muffins
Bake muffins, rotating pan halfway through (until a tester comes out clean) for about 18 minutes total.
Adapting this Blueberry Muffin Recipe
Change up some of the ingredients in this recipe to make it your very own. We say, “Play with your food!” Don’t be frightened to veer off the original recipe. Beckon your inner chef to experiment with this recipe. Here are some ideas that we think you’d like:
- Use a mix of blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries
- Try grating some orange zest into the batter
- Use your favorite gluten-free baking mix instead of all-purpose and traditional wheat flour
- Drizzle with Eastern Shore Honey before you serve
- If you’re feeling really creative, make your own muffin liners
- Serve with our amazing honey Strawberry Jam
- In the heat of summer, enjoy these muffins with a nice iced latte!
If you decide to try making this recipe, share a snapshot with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Honey Blueberry Muffins
- 12 liners coat with cooking spray
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. freshly-grated cinnamon
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest finely grated
- 1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 c plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 large eggs beaten to blend
- 2 c fresh blueberries divided
- 1/2 c Waxing Kara Honey
- 2 tbsp. honey crystals
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with greased baking cups
- Sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl
- Remove a few tablespoons of flower mixture and coat blueberries lightly, add 1 1/2 c blueberries and gently fold until evenly distributed
- Whisk eggs, yogurt, butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, Eastern Shore Honey, and vanilla in a medium bowl until combined and creamy (about 1 minute)
- Fold egg mixture into dry ingredients to combine. Fold in the coated blueberries without overmixing.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle with honey crystals
- Bake muffins, rotating pan halfway through (until tester comes out clean) about 18 minutes. Time varies based on oven, check muffins at around 15 minute mark
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes
- Serve with honey butter
If you enjoy this delicious fruit muffin, you’ll certainly enjoy our honey banana bread.