This healthy mashed sweet potatoes recipe is brought to you by my friend Lori LaCombe, a fitness machine! You will find this recipe to be very easy to make.
Every once in a while I catch Lori in the gym and wonder how such a tiny woman can lift such heavyweights. She follows a very clean diet including plenty of healthy carbs to support her physical fitness. Sweet Potatoes are much better for you than white potatoes and are part of her diet.
Making Healthy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
In order to make this dish, you’ll need these ingredients:
- butternut squash
- sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- pumpkin pie spice
- chopped cilantro
- Waxing Kara Honey
Step 1 Prepare the root vegetables
Peel squash and sweet potatoes cut them into small cubes, cover them with olive oil, and roast for 45 minutes, covered with foil. Remove foil and roast for an additional 30 minutes more.
Step 2 Blend
Once squash and potatoes are soft, place the mixture in a food processor with the remaining ingredients. Pulse until all is combined and looks like mashed potatoes.
Adapting Healthy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Our Recipes are designed to be an inspiration. That’s the way we see it. Don’t feel like you have to make these Healthy Mashed Sweet Potatoes exactly the way our recipe shows. Get creative. Experiment. Try something different. Here are some ideas in case you need a little boost with adapting this recipe:
- Add some dried blueberries or a combination of your favorite dried fruit as a garnish to add color and flavor
- Can you imagine a teaspoon of pine nuts or raw pepitas on each serving? That would be so good!
- Sprinkle some dried cinnamon and chopped fresh cilantro, and some roasted pine nuts on top for added color and flavor
- Why not add a honey drizzle on top?
If you want to entertain other sweet potato recipes while you are searching try these twice-baked stuffed sweet potatoes.
If you decide to try making this recipe, share a snapshot with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Healthy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 c butternut squash cubed
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/4 c olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 c Waxing Kara Honey
- Combine and toss squash and sweet potatoes with olive oil then roast for 45 minutes covered with foil.
- Remove foil and roast for an additional 30 minutes more.
- Once soft, place the mixture in a food processor with the remaining ingredients.
- Process until all is combined and look like mashed potatoes.