Summertime is for grilling. Who wants to spend time in the hot kitchen when you could be cooking outside?
That’s why we created these Grilled Chicken kebabs for you to make outdoors! Kebabs make for a light meal that is packed with protein and vitamins and takes less than 20 minutes to cook. If you’re pressed for time, you can marinate the chicken and vegetables overnight and pop them on the grill the next day. The Eastern Shore Honey in the marinade gives the kebabs a delectable glaze and will caramelize nicely on the grill. Blueberry Honey is great for grilling, though you can use whatever variety you like.
One great thing about kebabs is that you can mix and match what you throw together. If you only want chicken (this would be a great way to grill chicken for a salad), go for it! Vegetarians can pick their favorite vegetables and use this marinade to have a tasty light lunch or for dinner served with a lentil salad.
Whatever you use for your kebabs, make sure that the produce is fresh and that the protein (if it’s animal protein) has been humanely raised. Local vegetables from a farmers market are a great option, and in buying them you’re helping to support the local economy and reduce your carbon footprint!
Adapting our Grilled Chicken Kebabs
You know, a recipe is not truly perfect until you’ve added your own touch to it. That’s why we encourage you to play with your food. Call to your inner chef to come out and play and change up this recipe. Here are some ideas:
- Use whatever vegetables you like – mushrooms and tomatoes would be excellent
- Turn up the heat and add jalapeño that will char beautifully on the grill
- Mix in different fresh herbs from your garden (or your best friend’s garden)
- Use shrimp or tofu instead of chicken
If you decide to try making this recipe, share a snapshot with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Grilled Honey Chicken Kebabs
- 8 chicken breasts skinless and cubed
- 2 bell peppers cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions cut into quarters
- 2 small zucchini sliced thick
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1/2 c soy sauce
- 1/3 c Waxing Kara Honey
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme minced
- 2 tbsp. garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together olive oil, soy sauce, honey, lemon juice, thyme, minced garlic, and a dash each of salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Set aside 3 tablespoons of marinade for grilling.
- Add chicken and vegetables to the bowl. Cover and marinate in your refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If using charcoal, cook over hot red coals.
- Drain liquid from chicken and vegetables and thread onto skewers.
- Place the kabobs on the grill and cook for about 16 minutes, (8 minutes each side) or until the chicken is cooked through. Baste with the remaining marinade. Make sure to turn often so the kabobs cook evenly.
- Yields 10-12 kabobs. Serve with whole grain couscous or pasta salad and fresh watermelon.