Cucumbers come into season during the height of summer and give any meal a fresh, refreshing crunch. Besides pickling the fruits or chopping them for a salad topping, cucumbers can be the star of their dishes. Our Easy Cucumber Salad with honey vinaigrette dressing puts the cucumbers front and center under a blanket of tangy vinegar dressing.
Any type of cucumber works for this recipe, from the regular green snake-like fruits to heirloom varieties like “Lemon” and “White Wonder”. I skinned the fruits before I sliced them (using a mandoline to make the job easy), although you could definitely leave the skin on for more color and texture. Our Eastern Shore Honey helps to balance out the acidity of the vinegar in the dressing, while the olive oil binds the mixture together.
If you have never grown your own cucumbers, you’d be surprised by how easy they are to raise. As long as the plants have plenty of water and sunshine, they’ll produce bunches of fruit. Although it’s too late in the season to start the plants outdoors now, you can always plan ahead for next summer! The best time to plant cucumbers, or transplant them outdoors, is two-weeks after the last frost. They like warm weather and lots of sun!
Adapting our Cucumber Salad with Honey Vinaigrette Dressing
You know, a recipe is not truly perfect until you’ve added your own touch to it. That’s why we encourage you to play with your food. Call your inner chef to come out and play and change up this recipe. Here are some ideas:
- Add in dill or other fresh herbs
- Lemon zest would give the salad an extra dose of flavor
- Throw in chopped heirloom baby tomatoes for some bright color
- You can use a mayo-based dressing instead of the vinaigrette if you don’t like the tang of vinegar.
If you love cucumbers, you should try our cucumber water. It’s made in small batches and available for only a short while!
If you decide to try making this recipe, share a snapshot with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Cucumber Salad with Honey Vinaigrette Dressing
- 3 c heirloom cucumbers peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 c red wine vinegar
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1/2 c red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. Waxing Kara Honey
- 3/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients except cucumber and onion in a medium bowl and emulsify by beating well with a whisk or fork.
- Add onion and cucumber slices; mix well.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour, best for a few hours.