Imagine your favorite superfoods combined with granola and topped with dark chocolate and chopped pistachios. Does this sound too good to be true? Good, because this recipe for Pistachio Granola Bark is as delicious as it is good for you. Enjoy!
Where did the term bark come from in confection making?
As a kid growing up in the 1970s in a household with a pastry-chef mother, I was exposed to all sorts of interesting cookies, candies, and cakes that the other kids in my neighborhood had never heard of. My Mom was pretty up-to-date with all the latest trends in baking and, even more, was good at it all. “Bark candy” came about in the late 1960s. It was developed as a candy that resembled “tree bark”, whereas, a crunchy layer of nuts and crumbs topped with a nice thick layer of chocolate and garnished with chopped walnuts. Merriam-Webster Online defines “bark” as “a candy containing chocolate and nuts made in a sheet and broken into pieces”. The only difference between what we are making here and what my mother made in the 1970s is our ingredients.
There’s nothing like making chocolate bark to really show off your decadent side. The next time you’re having a party, put a plate of this Pistachio Granola Bark out and just wait for the oohs and ahhs to ensue. As I mentioned before, the lightly sweetened superfood granola is topped with a layer of dark chocolate and garnished with sea salt and pistachios. This recipe calls for Waxing Kara Butter Bean Honey, which adds a perfect touch of autumn goodness to each and every bite, however, you can use any honey that you might have on hand.
How to Make Chocolate Pistachio Granola Bark
Step One: Get yourself organized and gather all of your ingredients
Heat your oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. First, gather all of the ingredients that you will need to make this Granola Bark. You’ll need Honey, dark chocolate chips, dried super fruit, cranberries, blueberries, raisins, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, uncooked quinoa, chopped walnuts, chopped cashews, slivered almonds, chopped pistachios, vanilla, coconut oil, sea salt
Step Two: Make the base
Making the granola base is really quite simple. In a large saucepan, add honey, coconut oil, and vanilla over medium heat stirring frequently until well blended. Add the nuts, uncooked quinoa, and seeds. Stir until all the ingredients are evenly covered. Spread this mixture out on the prepared pan, and be sure to spread it out evenly across the pan. Bake for 20 minutes, until the granola is golden on the edges.
Step Three: Make the topping
Melt the chocolate by placing it in a saucepan over medium to medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Once melted, spread over the granola, swirling to create beautiful patterns in the chocolate before it sets. Top with coarse sea salt and pistachio pieces. Place the pan in the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to set. This should take 30 minutes or so.
Remove from the refrigerator and break into pieces when you’re ready to serve. Store in an airtight container.
Adapting Chocolate Pistachio Granola Bark
The beauty of making things from scratch means you can bend the recipe to your preferences. So, if you’re looking for ideas on how to adapt this recipe, we’ve got some ideas for you. Above all, have fun, but here are some suggestions for changing this Chocolate Pistachio Granola Bark recipe:
- Replace one of the nuts with chopped pecans
- Add a little orange zest to the honey mixture
- Try using Waxing Kara’s Autumn Honey
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon or ginger to the honey mixture for some extra spice!
Storing Chocolate Pistachio Granola Bark
If you’re planning to make this Chocolate Pistachio Granola Bark for your next party, you can easily make it ahead of time. Simply place the finished bark pieces in an air-tight container and store it in the refrigerator. Prior to serving the bark, bring to room temperature.
If you decide to make this Chocolate Pistachio Granola Bark recipe, be sure to take a photo and share them with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Chocolate Pistachio Granola Bark
- 1/2 c Waxing Kara Honey
- 3 c chocolate chips dark
- 1/4 c dried super fruit cranberries, blueberries, raisins
- 1/4 c hemp seeds
- 1/4 c sunflower seeds
- 1 c quinoa uncooked
- 1/2 c walnuts chopped
- 1/2 c cashews chopped
- 1/2 c almonds slivered
- 1/2 c pistachios chopped
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 dash Coarse sea salt
- 1 tbsp. chopped pistachios for topping
- Heat your oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large pot combine the honey, coconut oil and vanilla over medium heat. Stir until the coconut oil has melted and the ingredients are combined and smooth.
- Add the nuts, uncooked quinoa, and seeds. Stir until all the ingredients are covered evenly.
- Spread this mixture out on the prepared pan. Be sure to spread it out evenly across the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the granola is golden on the edges.
- In the meantime, melt the chocolate by placing in a sauce pan over medium to medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Once melted, spread over the granola, swirling to create beautiful patterns in the chocolate before it sets. Top with coarse sea salt and pistachio pieces.
- Place the pan in the fridge to allow the chocolate to set. This should take 30 minutes or so. Remove from the fridge and break into pieces when you’re ready to serve.
Marly McMillen, MBA, is a COO-turned entrepreneur and earned a plant-based pro certification from Rouxbe Cooking School. She publishes about recipes, health, creativity, living authentically, and the business of blogging at Namely Marly and Chopped Academy.