One day in February, a while back, I noticed tons of new visitors to this blog and I couldn’t figure out where the traffic was coming from and then I saw the link! Emma and Elsie from A Beautiful Mess featured our Eastern Shore Honey in their beautiful Halfway Homemade Buttermilk Pie Recipe. This was a first for us. It was a pleasant surprise.
Who has buttermilk in the fridge?
Maybe you made buttermilk pancakes this weekend and you have some leftover buttermilk? There is no better place to invest leftover buttermilk than into a traditional buttermilk pie, a traditional southern delicacy (by way of the United Kingdom) often confused with chess pie. (Chess pie is made with cornmeal.) Buttermilk pie is best eaten at room temperature after being allowed to cool but can be eaten either warm from the oven or after being chilled.
How to Make Buttermilk Pie
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and gather up your ingredients, you only need a handful! Eggs, sugar, honey, flour, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
Step one: Whisk and Mix
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar and honey.
- Stir in the other ingredients and pour into your favorite pie crust
Step two: Bake and serve
- Bake 40-45 minutes until the sides are golden brown and the pie is set (it will still have a slight jiggle in the center).
- Allow to fully cool before serving.
We always encourage you to play with your food. We want you to experiment with this buttermilk pie recipe!
If you’ve never heard of this Buttermilk Pie before, it’s identical to a custard pie, with exception of one ingredient, the type of milk used. In custard pie, you use whole milk.
- If you only have whole milk, this recipe will work fine. If you only have coconut milk, that too will work.
- Mix in 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and or nutmeg to add a little spice
- Experiment with your flours, coconut flour, and oat flour may make a nice change in this recipe for our gluten-free friends.
If you decide to try these fantastic recipes, be sure to take a photo and share them with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Buttermilk Pie Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 c sugar
- 1/2 c Waxing Kara Honey
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 c buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F
Whisk the eggs with the sugar and honey.
Stir in the other ingredients and pour into your favorite pie crust
Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes until the sides are golden brown and the pie is set (it will still have a slight jiggle in the center).
Allow to fully cool before serving.
This pie is perfect topped with fresh whipped cream or you can add fresh fruit.
This recipe and all the beautiful photography is copyright Emma @BeautifulMess.com