I’ve been feeling the late-winter blues. And the finicky weather is to blame! Just as the sun comes out, the weather takes a turn for the worst and we see snow the next day. In need of rejuvenation and to break out of this sluggish routine, I decided to test my mixology skills with a special cocktail. By now, we’re all familiar with the benefits of taking apple cider vinegar. Packed with B vitamins and probiotics, apple cider vinegar is a beneficial addition to your diet. That’s exactly why I mixed up this apple cider vinegar honey detox drink. Quite the mouthful, but it’s just what you need this time of year.
Vinegar is polarizing: either you love it or you hate it. I enjoy it, and I also like other fermented foods, so this might just be something I add to my regular diet. To sweeten up my vinegar drink, I added a spoonful of honey to the mixture.
A word of caution: don’t drink undiluted vinegar. The acidity of the vinegar will damage your teeth over time, and may upset your stomach. Add vinegar to your salad dressings, into lemon water, or enjoy in this apple cider vinegar honey detox drink.
What is apple cider vinegar? Is it really made from apples?
The answer is yes! Apple cider vinegar is basically spoiled apple juice; in fact, vinegar is the French word for spoiled wine. The process for making vinegar is actually simple and includes two steps:
- Yeast is added to crushed apples and their juice to create alcohol
- Fermentation of the alcohol occurs with the addition of bacteria
Apple cider vinegar traditionally takes up to one month to ferment and produce. The fermented alcohol becomes acetic acid, which gives vinegar its bite.
Acetic acid has health benefits
The mother, or “floaties” within the liquid, provides most of the health benefits. Moreover, the mother contains probiotics, which is often the key to weight loss. Probiotics are for gut health. When we balance our gut, digestion improves. By adding one or two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to your diet, it ultimately aids in overall health.
Key health benefits
- In a study, apple cider vinegar was found to aid in weight loss. Individuals who consumed one to two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar everyday , in addition to reducing calorie consumption, were found to lose weight over a 12 week period. Their counterparts in the study, who cut calories but did not take vinegar, did not lose as much weight.
- Apple cider vinegar may lower blood sugar and help to balance sugar levels.
Customize this Apple Cider Vinegar Honey Detox Drink
We always encourage you to play with your food. Create your very own tasty detox drink with your favorite tea and honey to make it more interesting.
- To spice it up, add a dash of cayenne pepper
- Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric (for the added anti-inflammatory properties)
- Use Coconut water instead of filtered water
- Try hot tea for the base of this health cocktail.
- Garnish with fresh ginger
If you decide to try this recipe, be sure to take a photo and share them with us using #waxingkararecipes on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Apple Cider Vinegar Honey Detox
- 16 oz warm water
- 1 tbsp Honey Waxing Kara
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh squeezed
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
Add honey to warm water and stir until the honey is fully dissolved.
Add apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, cinnamon.
Drink when fully combined.